Contact Me:

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Mom's Rhubarb Cake


 Mom's Rhubarb Cake
This is my all-time favorite recipe with rhubarb! My mom has a rhubarb plant that was originally divided from my great-grandfather's garden! She makes this cake way better than I do but it was still fantastic when I tried for the first time this week! I was also so excited to get baking that I didn't take any pictures until after I already had a slice. Or three. This cake also tastes a lot better the day after you bake it, so if you can stand to wait a whole day before eating a slice (which I can't) it'll be much better!

The recipe:
2 cups flour
1 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter, softened but not melted
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp Vanilla
2 cups diced rhubarb

Crunch topping
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup coconut (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 13x9in pan and set aside.

In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. 

In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in milk, egg, and vanilla. Your mix will look very soup-y at this point. Slowly stir in flour mix until just incorporated, being careful not to over mix. Finally, stir in rhubarb.

Transfer mix to prepared pan and smooth until even. Sprinkle on topping.

Bake for 40-55 minutes, checking it first at 40 minutes and then in five minute intervals after. Your cake will be done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment