Contact Me:

Saturday, March 8, 2014

2AM Chili

2AM Chili

Original source: http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=33 <- check out this site, the comic that goes along with this recipe is awesome.

I've made this recipe twice now and I absolutely LOVE it! It makes enough where I can freeze a bunch and I get about 20 meals from it.

A little about me - I live by myself and I'm a pretty small person so I usually have to modify recipes  "for one" so the leftovers don't go bad before I get a chance to eat them! But this recipe is great to freeze and save for later.

So the chili. I modified this recipe a bit from the original depending on what I had available in the kitchen.

The grocery list:
 1 29 oz can of tomato sauce
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce (try a flavored sauce if you're feeling adventurous!)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (again, try some flavor in there! I like the chili ones)
1 can of light red kidney beans
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of corn
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow onion
1 zucchini
3-4 cloves of garlic
1.5 lbs ground beef (or any substitute you choose)
1 tsp-1 tbsp Brown sugar
~2 tbsp Cooking oil
1/4 bottle or can of your favorite beer

Seasoning:
2 tbsp All purpose flour
2 tsp Sugar
1 tbsp Garlic powder
1 tbsp Onion powder
1 tbsp Ground red pepper (Cayenne)
4 tsp Chili powder
2 tsp Ground cumin
1 tsp Basil leaves (dried)
Ground black pepper

Toppings (optional):
Crackers (I love either Saltines or Fritos)
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream


Start by browning a pound and a half of ground beef. I think ground pork would also be great - or for you vegetarians out there, try brown rice or quinoa (or both!).

Meanwhile, chop about 1/2-3/4 of the red pepper, green pepper, zucchini and the onion. You can also mince the garlic cloves now, but I use a garlic press to bring out all the flavor the garlic has to offer.

While the beef is finishing up, open all the cans and combine in a big pot. Be sure to drain the beans and the corn or else it'll water down your chili.

Once the beef is done, drain the grease and add it to your pot.

Add a couple tablespoons of any cooking oil to your now empty skillet. The original recipe uses coconut oil and I love the grapeseed oils from WildTree (http://shop.wildtree.com/catalog/cfCatalog.cfm?c=109). My favorite is the roasted garlic, but I recently ran out and I've been using the basil pesto. Then add your veggies and saute. I usually let the garlic sizzle in the oil until it's fragrant and a lovely pale-brown color and then add the rest of the veggies and saute for a few minutes. To keep the veggies crisp, make sure your pan and oil are HOT!

Add the veggies to your pot. Then, combine all seasoning ingredients, mix, and add it to your pot. For some reason, the last time I made the seasoning, something just didn't turn out right. It was a little too sweet for my liking and I like my chili a little spicier. I can't quite remember exactly how I made it the first time (when it turned out amazing) but I'm pretty sure my seasonings consisted of: flour, crushed red pepper, paprika, ground cumin, basil leaves, and black pepper. I'll experiment next time and let you know how it turns out.

Finally, add a couple shots of whatever beer you have in the fridge! Since I live in Wisconsin and beer is awesome here, my favorite is New Glarus Two Women. To find one comparable: the description from the New Glarus Brewing website says it's a classic country lager with a crisp, well balanced, and satisfying flavor. It pairs well with pan fried trout, pork chops, steak, goulash, pasta salad; and gruyere, provolone, and colby cheeses.

Bring the pot to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for as many hours as you'd like (I usually do 4 but if I'm impatient I'll sneak a bowl out after about an hour), stirring occasionally. Finish that beer, relax, and enjoy the amazing aromas!

Finally, serve yourself a generous helping and top with cheese, sour cream, and crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment