Contact Me:

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

I actually just made these today and I honestly don't know if I'd make them again. They sound amazing and look delicious, but I feel like I just ended up with a big, heavy, thick cookie. I might try making these into cookies instead of bars so they're not so heavy. 

Another problem I had with this recipe is that the topping called for 1/2 cup of chocolate chips (which is a lot of chocolate!) I found I hardly used any of it so I've reduced it in this recipe
Looks good, right? Looks can be very deceiving. Sure, it tastes good but it's not anything special and I can only eat a very small slice at a time or else it's too much.


The recipe:
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips plus about an extra 2 tablespoons for topping
1 cup crushed salted pretzels, divided
1/4-1/2 tsp vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, allowing it to hang over two sides. Coat the paper with cooking spray.

Whisk together melted butter with granulated sugar and light brown sugar until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined.

Stir in flour and salt just until incorporated. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup crushed pretzels.

Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top, then sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup crushed pretzels on top, pressing them lightly into the batter.

Bake for about 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. While the cookie bars are baking, melt 2 tbsp chocolate chips with the vegetable oil in a double boiler or in the microwave.

Remove the cookie bars from the oven, cool completely in the pan, then remove cookies using parchment paper overhang. Drizzle the cookie bars with the melted chocolate and allow them to cool until the chocolate hardens. Cut the cookie bars into 16 squares and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment